THE WONDER OF WILLOWHERB
Willowherb (Epilobium Angustifolium) is a wildflower native to the forests of the Yukon Territory in Canada.
Whenever a forest has been ravished by fire, the small green shoots of the Willowherb sprout among the blackened tree skeletons almost before the ashes are cold. It then protects the seedling trees that are fighting to renew their growth.
In the same way that it mutes the scars of a forest fire, Willowherb has been used medicinally by natives over the centuries to soothe burns to the skin and reduce inflammation.
Based on this strong ethnobotanical history, modern extracts have been developed and tested in-vivo and found to be very effective against both chemical and UV-induced erythema while maintaining anti-irritancy and anti-microbial functions. It has recently been discovered to be a potent anti-oxidant as well.
We think that the proven ability of Willowherb to reduce redness and calm the skin can play a substantial role in the on-going efforts to mitigate the problems of rosacea. Rosacea Care Serum, Moisturizer, Facial Gel, Concealers and Cool Relief Facial Mask all contain Willowherb Extract.
SEA BUCKTHORN – THE NATURAL HEALER
Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) has a long history of use in Asia and the Far East as a primary healing agent. It grows in the mountainous regions of Russia and China as well as along certain maritime coasts. It contains high concentrations of Vitamins C and E as well as flavonoids and oils rich in essential fatty acids. It is a potent antioxidant. In Russia, where we harvest our ingredient, it has been for centuries a valuable topical agent in treating burns and healing wounds, and its properties are increasingly becoming recognized in Germany and other European countries.
We are pleased to be using it to the Rosacea Care line where its soothing and healing qualities will provide another effective approach to relieving the irritation and discomfort often associated with rosacea. Our Night Cream has an elegant golden color from this remarkable healing ingredient.
ZinClear – SUN PROTECTION WITHOUT WHITENING
Rosacea Care is the first company to offer to the international world of rosacea the extraordinary benefits of ZinClear, the most advanced form of Zinc Oxide and the primary ingredient in our ALL-NATURAL Sunscreen "30".
Developed by research scientists in Western Australia, ZinClear offers remarkable protection against both UVA and UVB rays, and it does so without leaving any whitening effects on the skin.Skin whitening is caused by the scattering of light, which is a function of particle size. ZinClear uses nanotechnology to produce particles so tiny that there is virtually no light scatter and thus no whitening.
Sunscreen "30" provides provides broad spectrum protection from UVA and UVB exposure and also helps in calming irritated skin. Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 is the recommended level of protection for people with rosacea or sensitive skin. At the same time, its elegant base includes such ingredients as Jojoba Oil, which prompted a Mayo Clinic doctor to say, "It does a great job as a sunblock but feels like a moisturizer. It is lovely."
Sunscreen "30" with ZinClear has been tested and approved by the FDA.
Jojoba oil is a popular and well tolerated part of many rosacea sufferers' moisturizing regime. It blends in really well on wet skin and gives an excellent moisturized feel to it.
Vita Oil vs. Jojoba Oil
1. Jojoba oil in our Vita-Oil is processed to remove contaminants & microorganisms before being added to the formulation. Natural oils are easily contaminated especially if water is allowed to get into the product. We provided a dropper with our Vita-Oil for better control in using the product.
2. Vita-Oil contains other ingredients which help its effectiveness. One is lecithin. This is a natural phospholipid quite similar to the lipid in our epidermal barrier. Lecithin also acts as an emulsifier. What this means is that it allows water on the skin to bind with the jojoba oil. As everyone knows, water and oil do not mix. Water is what hydrates the skin. Oil prevents the water from evaporating. Vita-Oil will mix with the water because of the presence of this natural emulsifier. This is the rationale for advising the consumer to use Vita-Oil on wet skin.
3. Vita-Oil also contains other ingredients which serve as anti-oxidants. Aside from the lecithin which is also an anti-oxidant, the others are esters of vitamin C & A. Anti-oxidants have beneficial effects on the skin. During the formulating stage of Vita-Oil, one of the criteria we had was to have a simple product with as few ingredients as possible. This is critical for hypersensitive skin. The few ingredients included serve a purpose.
GRAPE SEED EXTRACT – AN ANTI-AGING WONDER
It can be used to benefit the body in many ways. Grape seed has antioxidant, antiallergenic, antihistamine, anti-inflammatory and immune boosting properties and it can be instrumental in helping the body fight viruses, allergens, and carcinogens. It contains one of the richest sources of oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPC's), which is one of the most powerful antioxidants available.
Because of its antioxidant properties, grape seed extract is considered an anti-aging wonder. Antioxidants are the most important nutrients for the skin. The bioflavonoids in grape seed extract help strengthen and protect cell membranes from oxidative damage caused by free radicals. Its antioxidant properties are considered to be stronger than those of vitamin C and Vitamin E. It helps to repair connective tissue while promoting skin enzyme activity.
Grape seed extract aids wound healing by helping to regenerate damaged blood vessels and clearing harmful bacteria from the wound.
Wrinkles and sagging skin, a common age old concern, is caused by harmful free radical activity.
The use of grape seed extract can make it possible to reverse much of the damage that has caused lines and wrinkles in the skin. Rosacea Care Serum, Night Cream and Facial Gelall contain Grape Seed Extract.
GREEN TEA EXTRACT – A POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT
The medicinal properties of tea are attributed to flavonoid phytochemicals called polyphenols. The polyphenols found in tea mainly belong to the subtype called catechins. The main catechins in green tea include gallocatechin (GC), epigallocatechin (EGC), epicatechin (EC), and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Tea polyphenols have protective effects against free radicals, cardiovascular damage, infections, and toxins.
Considering their well-documented antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, topical green tea polyphenols have many skin benefits and are likely to slow down the development of signs of aging.
A number of studies have credibly demonstrated that topical green tea formulations reduce sun damage. Green tea appears to exert sun damage protection by quenching free radicals and reducing inflammation rather than by blocking UV rays. Therefore, green tea may synergistically enhance sun protection when used in addition to a sunscreen. Another study showed benefits of 2% polyphenone in papulopustular rosacea. In particular, a significant reduction in inflammatory lesion was reported. Rosacea Care Serum, Night Cream, Facial Gel, Concealers and Cool Relief Facial Mask all contain Green Tea Extract.
Colloidal Oatmeal is defined as a product made from grinding and processing whole oat grain with strict requirements on the particle size and fat content. The small particle size and the way that it disperses in water means that when it deposits on the skin it forms an occlusive barrier. The colloidal oatmeal feels silky, as it coats, moisturizes, softens, and protects your skin.
Our Mild Oatmeal Facial Cleanser was inspired by the properties that make oatmeal an especially efficacious ingredient for rosacea therapies:
1. The high concentration in starches and beta-glucan is responsible for the protective and water-holding functions of oat.
3. The presence of different types of phenols confers antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. Some of the oat phenols are also strong ultraviolet absorbers.
4. Oatmeal is an effective cleanser that contains saponins that absorb dirt, oil, and sebaceous secretions.